Welcome to the website of Purbi Singhbhum District of Jharkhand
About the Golmuri-cum-Jugsalai(Jamshedpur)Blocks
The growth of Jamshedpur town to its present strature is solely connected with the growth of TISCO. The TATAs had originally decided in 1904 to utilise the Iron Ores from the DhalliRajhara range in the Drug district and set up the works at a place called Padampur on the banks of the Mahanadi. When, however, Late Mr. P. N. Bose, who was then the geologist of Mayurbhanj state, drew the attention of TATAs to the rich ore deposits of Gorumahissani Hills in Mayurbhaj (Orissa), it was decide to shift the venue of the Steel Works from Padampur to Sinni. Howver, owning to the lake of a large soiurce of water supply at Sinni, the site was abondoned in 1907 in favour Sakchi, which was about 20 miles away. Sakchi situarted at the confluence of two rivers Subarnarekha and Kharkai ensuring a pereniel source of water Supply. It was also adjacent to the Kalimati Railway Station (now Tatanagar) which lay on the main Railway line.
Jamshedpur has an area of 25 square miles, bounded on the north by Subarnarekha river, on the west by Kharkai river, on the South by Eastern Railway line between Calcutta and Mumbai and on the east by cadastral survey boundaries of the different villages. The first lay-out of the town was prepared by Messrs Julin Kennedy Sahlin of Pittsburg, U.S.A. It was designed more or less on American lines with roads at right angles. In 1920, Mr. Frederick Charles Temple, who was then the Sanitary Engineer to the Government of Bihar and himself a Town Planner, was engaged as the Chief Town Engineer. In 1936 Major P.C Stokes, who was connected with Quetta Reconstruction after earth-quake, was invited by the Company to advise on town planning and development. In 1943, Dr. Keonigsberger was invited to advise on the planning of the town. He prepared the a master plan which was accepted by the Steel Company and is now strictly adhered to. Jamshedpur Block was established in the 1952 and had started functioning near western gate of Jubilee Park. In the year 1965 it was shifted to the present Collectorate and functioned in this building till 1984 (during this period the district constituted a part of undivided Singhbhum). In the year 1985 the office shifted to the newly constructed block office at Khasmahal, Jamshedpur which is approximately 8 K.M from the present District Collectorate and approximately 2 K.Ms from Tatanagar Railway station. This block constitutes of rural & urban areas having one Municipality and two Notified Area Council namely Jugsalai Municipality, Jamshedpur Notified Area Committee , Mango Notified Area Committee respectively.
- Head Quarter :Jamshedpur
- Total Area :56980.57 Acres
- Total Panchayat :55
- Total Village :124
- Important Minerals :Uranium,Copper etc
- Total Forest Area :15719.82 Acres
- Agriculture Land :34796.84 Acres
- Languages : Hindi Bangla,Santhali etc
- Total Population (2001 Census) : 1073632
- Festivals :Holi,Dashara,Diwali,Sarhul Tusu etc
- Rivers :Subernrekha,Kharkai
This park is situated on the heart of town containg beautiful lake named Jayanti Sarowar with boating facilities . The nature friendly park, inaugurated in 1956, with lush green vegetation, attractive illuminated fountains and multi colored flowering plants is a marvelous spot to spend some time in the lap of Mother Nature in the busy industrial city. The park encloses an amusement park named Nicco Park , children’s park and a magnificent horticulture garden containing hybrid plant flora. Children’s park is really wonderful with swings, see saws, windmill, skating rings and many rides.